1. We encourage closer contact between members thereby strengthening the regional legal community
- by providing a programme for members including networking and activity based events;
- by holding public debates/discussions which are important to members;
- by establishing and maintaining effective lines of communication with all members.
2. We represent the professional interests of our members
- by direct representations and lobbying to Government, the SRA, The Law Society and other organisations;
- by engaging in consultations;
- by making use of the media.
3. We promote the Society, our members and the region on the National and International stage
- by ensuring members are aware of the work which is undertaken by the Society;
- by ensuring all Officers, Board Members and Council Members promote the Society and its members whenever speaking to national or international organisations, including during international visits;
- by promoting the international relations the Society has and establishing links.
4. We ensure our members are kept up to date with any important issues relevant to the legal profession
- by using any and all available means (electronic, seminars, newsletters, correspondence etc);
- by engaging in public debates/discussions with people associated with such changes;
- through training and other educational events.
5. We raise public awareness of legal issues relevant to the profession
- by promoting the rule of law and access to justice;
- by raising issues relevant to the provision of legal services such as Alternative Business Structures, cuts in legal aid, diversity issues in respect of access to the legal profession etc;
6. We are regarded as an integral and important part of Birmingham and the surrounding regions by ensuring close links with other organisations (both legal and non legal) including;
- national organisations such as The Law Society;
- local organisations such as Universities, Chamber of Commerce, Birmingham Forward, Business Voice WM, PINWM etc;
- local organisations involved in the administration of justice such as the Judiciary/Tribunals and the Police;
- Birmingham Trainee Solicitors Group and Birmingham Solicitors Group;
- Pro bono groups and charities.
7. We continuously consider providing services that benefit our members.