WHO ARE WE?
- signpost; and
- raise the profile of pro bono work amongst Birmingham Law Society (BLS) members and the local community.
- keep an up-to-date database of sources of free legal advice and support for members of the public to access on the BLS website;
- signpost members of the public who approach BLS to sources of free legal advice and support;
- provide a forum for committee members to share pro bono best practice and raise queries and points for discussion regarding pro bono practice with one another;
- invite guest speakers to share pro bono information, best practice, opportunities and updates at committee meetings;
- ensure that committee membership is reviewed regularly and local firms, chambers and relevant third sector legal organisations are represented (or are invited to be represented) on the committee;
- host an event during National Pro Bono Week each year to promote pro bono opportunities to Birmingham Law Society members;
- proactively help to build links between local third sector advice agencies and local legal practitioners for the purposes of delivering pro bono advice; and
- host; co-host; and/or support external facing events relating to pro bono and public legal education as appropriate.
The Birmingham Law Society Pro Bono Committee is made up of:
Mark Taylor, Eversheds Sutherland (Chair); Elena Goodfellow, Bevan Britan (Vice Chair); Lucy Burrow, BPP University (Vice Chair); Amy-Rose Warman, Eversheds Sutherland (Secretary);Linden Thomas, University of Birmingham; Michael Bates, Birmingham Community Law Centre; Sophie Brambley, Linklaters LLP; Imogen Francis, Shoosmiths; Abigail Halcarz, Shakespeare Martineau LLP; James Dixon, No5 Chambers; Sam Burns, University of Law; Lorna Gavin, Gowling WLG; Nicola Ellen, Shoosmiths; Aaron Bradley, DLA Piper UK LLP; Geraldine Flood, BPP University; Laura Golightly, Gowling WLG (UK) LLP; Stas Kuzmierkiewicz, DLA Piper UK LLP; Amber Nixon, DLA Piper UK LLP; Katie Rothwell, Gowling WLG (UK) LLP; Amy Tabari, Gowling WLG (UK) LLP; Ellie Williams, Higgs & Sons Solicitors; Alex Pleydell, Mills & Reeve; Alex Tolcher, DWF LLP; Anne-Marie Dhillon, Law Works; Cheryl Green, University of Law; Chris King, BCU; Hannah Short, Shoosmiths; Jane Dulh; Julia Jones, Bevan Brittan; Katie Fennel, Central England Law Centre; Louise Foy, Hughes Paddison; Poppy Wilkinson, Gateley PLC; Sophie Kernthaler, Barclaycard.